Friday, April 19, 2013

Tomboys don't exist


I'm a big fan of video games. I was playing Assassin's creed revelations and yelling "DIE! DIE! DIE!" at the TV in a frenzy. I was sitting hunched up, My hair was tied up in a messy bun, I was in my PJs, I had my glasses on and my face was sweaty and scrunched up from concentrating on killing this horde of Janissaries. My older sister and her friend were deftly pinning up their hair while I was expertly escaping from the Janissary camp. Their faces were flawless, their outfits were trendy and accentuated their shapes, their hair was shiny and perfect. They both looked extremely beautiful as they were getting ready for a night on the town.  They both looked over to me and exclaimed that I was such a tomboy. I burst out laughing.

I don't think tomboys exist.

 Yes, the scene I depicted doesn't paint a very feminine picture of me but that's just one side of my multifaceted personality. I've always thought of myself as a stereotypical girly-girl. I'm careful about my hair, make-up and outfits. I'm a hopeless romantic and I believe that "Happily ever after" does exist. I watch beauty videos, cooking shows and hair tutorials. I read romance and fiction with an insatiable mania. I'm always worried about being a lady and conducting myself with poise, elegance and charm.

Do you still think I'm a tomboy?

I think every woman has a dominant feminine side but we all have our vices. Mine just happens to be video games. I know many other girls that love to talk about cars, electronics, sports and other "manly" things. But at their very core, they fuss over their outfits, hair or behavior. All women want to be noticed as women.  Hence, I say tomboys don't exist. It's just another stereotype designed to deteriorate a girl's self esteem.


2 comments:

  1. I've never heard that term used here, could it be mostly an Indian context? The Great Divide, in the past, needed to place women and men in boxes but it's getting harder to apply stereotypes or even fit into them! :D Phew! Slowly but surely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Au contraire, due to the recent rape victims, Indian society has decided its best to separate men and women some more.Brace yourself for some more stereotypes to stem. I'm not sure if we're moving forwards or backwards anymore. But I know times are surely changing.

    ReplyDelete