Friday, February 15, 2013

Diva Curls

Mousse induced curls


I have been getting a lot of queries about my hair lately (particularly, a rather vicious rumor about my use of hair rollers) so I decided to share my hair care routine along with some curly girl styling tips.
First of all, let me explain my hair type and texture. My hair is voluminous and very curly. For a long time, I didn’t know how to handle it.  When I was about 12 or so, my hair used to bunch up and stick out. It was a nightmare. Not only did I have enormous amounts of hair, I also had dandruff and a frizz problem. 
My hair is also rather coarse so it is difficult for me to straighten it without ample amounts of product. For years, I had turned to straightening my hair (once I even chemically straightened it) only to realise it that it was much more trouble than it's worth. Ironically, my hair holds curly hairstyles like Twists or Rolls with ease.
So I turned to enhancing my curls. And after much research and trials I have come to these conclusions:
1. Curly hair needs copious amounts of moisture i.e. conditioner.
2. Curly hair can only be properly styled when wet.
3. Don't brush or comb curly hair when dry.

Naturally curly
I'm dead serious about that last one. Brushing simply breaks apart the curls and makes way for frizz. If you have tangled hair, get rid of the knots by gently combing through the wet hair with a wide toothed comb (bonus points if you do it while the conditioner is in). 
 That's all. I don’t co-condition and I don’t use enormous amounts of product. I just use a large amount of conditioner, comb through my hair when wet with a wide toothed comb and I don’t brush it when dry. Simple.



No comments:

Post a Comment