Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cornflake Girl

I'm surprised at how easily women around me demean themselves. At the drop of a hat, they can come up with witty or comical ways to portray their own inferiority. But it's very subtle in our society. 
I'm not a hardcore feminist. I'm not going to burn my bra, in protest. I would just like to see women with a healthier image of them; at least in my immediate vicinity.  It affects me when people make mean comments about women, especially if it comes from a woman herself. 
I have heard people say "Girls are a gossip", or that "Girls are quite the cheaters now, aren't they?", or even "Women who dress provocatively are simply asking for rape."
The last two were comments from women. True story.
How can a woman think like this about her fellows? She is talking about herself too. In my opinion, men and women gossip in equal amounts. It is a social vice that everyone indulges in from time to time. The same thing goes for cheating. Whether it’s cheating on a test or cheating on the love of your life, men and women do so equally. It happens because we're human. We err. 
The last comment really got me riled up. I don't think anyone deserves to have their rights taken away from them.  Justice, Liberty, Equality and Fraternity are the guiding principles of our constitution. Each of those words is in the Preamble to the constitution of India. Rape goes against all of those principles. It is a humiliating and disgusting act and there is no way to justify it.
I think every human being deserves to feel happy and secure. It doesn’t matter if you’re views are modern or old fashioned; if you’re a woman or a man; if you’re kind or rude ; or even if you;re a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man . You are a human being and you deserve to feel good about yourself and your fellows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment